Saturday, March 3, 2007

The Red Citation and "My Pants are on FIRE!"

We were, in many ways, fearless. I think Dan, Steve, Mark Beck, and many others of us, would have done anything to make the program better - more exciting - over-the-top.

I had mentioned earlier that people would crawl up on to the roof of the dining hall for various reasons. Here is a picture that shows the roost by the chimney.

I don't feel that it was a lack of 'safety consciousness'. It was just that we did not let things worry us when it was not warranted. Sure, sure ... The nay-sayers are thinkin' - "It's all fun and games, until someone pokes an eye out"!

No-one ever fell off of the roof. No one ever drowned on our make shift rafts. We never had anyone stabbed by a toy sword, and, as near as I can tell, we never had a turtle choke on any stray remnants of water balloons. (we did clean-up after the water balloon battles.)

But just in case, we practiced lots of first-aid. In fact, I used to set my pants on fire to simulate . . . well, having my my pants on fire!

When Dan and I weren't trying to burn each other to death, we would crash our cars and run car crash scenarios. What ever happened to that Citation?

Maurice Pap La Rin is in the above picture with serious wounds sustained in one of our mock car crashes. Anything to keep Camp Karoondinha fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment