Sunday, May 13, 2007

Order of the Oar and Wooden Snipes

I remember when the word came down from Williamsport that we were no longer allowed to have Order of the Oar initiations. There was a fear that we might emotionally or mentally harm the Scouts who were selected.

If you look to the right of the pictures, you might catch a glimpse of Ed McCollin (sp). He was the Camp Director from 1982 to 1984 (maybe 1985). I still use many of the management skills that I learned from him. Ed was the first person to teach me 'plan your work then work your plan'. He had a large influence on my thinking and the way I have learned to relate to people.

These pictures are from 1982. Todd Smith was the Program Director. Dan Danaker was the first waterfront director for Faylor Lake. I was still working in the kitchen.

also in the pictures, you can see Alan Franz, Shawn Spock, Glen Courtney, and Jeff Feidler. Use the magnifier to get a closer look.


Get Your Own!

2 comments:

  1. This is truly a sad day. I look up good old Camp K on the web and find that the Order of the Oar has been disbanded. Order of the Oar was always one of the many highlights of a week spent at camp, one of the antics that made Camp K so unique and fun.

    Jason Feigles,
    Troop 26 Hughesville, PA

    ReplyDelete
  2. Think I saw Spots!! Doug Spots that is!! Good man who is now a Doc in Mifflinburg I think. I concur with Jason, sad to hear of more tradition slipping away due to PC!

    Mike Thomas, Troop 509 Lewisburg

    ReplyDelete