Thursday, February 22, 2007

Arthur Bernstien


This picture is from 1980. 1980 was the year of the baby blue hat with the yellow K. It was my first year as a staff member. To the right is Arthur Bernstien.

I remember Arthur from my first years as a camper. Arthur worked in the Dining Hall and was LOUD. And in my memory, he was mean. As a camper, I was afraid to take dishes to the dish window. He was this big looming figure in the kitchen who ate campers for lunch.

I was fearful of working at camp when I heard Arthur would be Handicraft Director. Was I surprised when I met him and found out how short he really was. As staff week proceeded, Steve Geist explained to me that Arthur actually stood on a milk crate when he worked behind the dish window.

The staff member on the left is Neil Raup. I do not really remember him that well. I remember that we used to sing 'Raup's Turkey Farm'. I think he was the Trading Post Manager.

The staff member in the middle is Andy English. Andy held many positions over the summers he was at camp. Of the three staff members in the picture, Andy is the only one I have heard from since the early eighties. When I came back to direct camp in the late nineties, Andy sent me some stuff from the FBI. He was an agent for the FBI. I believe he still is.

Any updates on these staff members would be appreciated.

5 comments:

  1. I was on the 1980 Camp K staff. What GREAT memories!
    John Knox

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Kurt,

    Heard about the blog from Jeff Jones. Working my way slowly through it. This one is regarthing Arthur Bernstein. Tried to comment through the site but couldn't make it work

    I was never a staff member at Camp but my memory of Arthur Bernstein was from one of the weeks that Troop 304 of Sunbury with John Fogarty as Scoutmaster was in camp. I remember Arthur was adopted as an honorary Troop member and that the Troop baptized him (picked him up and bodily threw him) into the creek after each and every evening flag ceremony. Primary culprits included Mike and Joe Stender, Rick and Dale Musser, "Stump" Simpson, and many others. I have seen Arthur within the last 5 years. After T304 folded John Fogarty had a reunion at his house. I remember my daughter Elizabeth was 3 or 4 she is 8 now. I only got around to saying hello. So no further updates although I will ask Mr Fog when I see him.

    Jim Deroba

    ReplyDelete
  3. I certainly remember Andy English. Wasn't he from Jersey Shore?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember making Arthur kiss the Elk in the galley for losing a Challenge and also for throwing the axe while performing the Chippewa Pipe dance at the conclave during our competition!

    ReplyDelete
  5. 1st I want to thank John Knox for forwarding this to me via Facebook. I worked at Camp K for 5 years from 75-80 I think. I find it is funny that any one feared me at the time I was about 5’2” and 110 pounds. I recently came back to scouting as a assistant post leader for the fire fighters explorer post, which my son is joining.

    ReplyDelete