Saturday, February 17, 2007

The Real High Seas Adventurers



Brian Shaffer, John Connolly, and myself are pictured by 'The Rock by the Lake'. All three of us spent time in the navy. Ths picture would have been taken while I was home on leave for my brothers wedding. Brian was involved in fire fighting for the navy (I think). John had served on board the Samual Gompers. I was, at the time, stationed onboard the USS Truxtun.

In July of 2003 the Gompers, also known as Fat Sam, was sunk while being used as a target for naval exercises. The Truxtun was decommissioned in 1995.

I know John is living in the Lancaster area. I am not sure where Shaffer is nowdays.

Many members of the Camp Staff went on to serve their country. I will post more on this later.

1 comment:

  1. At the time, I was at the US Naval Academy and was volunteering at camp during my summer leave. The hat was given to me by my older brother who got it from the firefighting crew aboard that ship(the red hats were very hard to get).

    ReplyDelete