Thursday, February 15, 2007

On Pirates

In 1990 the theme was "Pirates". We may have had some fancy title, but there was no doubt that we were involved in high seas hi-jinx. How much trouble would we get into if we ran things the way we did - the right way - in the 80's?

Start with the camera angle --



These pictures were taken from the roof of the dining hall. Not only was the photographer on the roof, but I recall that, on occasion, we would set up a hose team on the roof to spray down on the water balloon battle.

And how dare we have a water balloon battle!!! A bird or a turtle might try and eat some of the latex balloons and choke to death. And what about the environmental impact!

And how dare we advocate kidnapping, sword play, and rebellion? What were we thinking?

We were thinking "If I were 10 years old; what would I love to do"?




It is hot in August. Water balloons are cool! Pirates are icons. Everybody knows they are the bad guys. A ten year old knows that you can count on a buried treasure if there are pirates. Buried treasure means maps. Perfect for Cub Scouts and Webelos.

1 comment:

  1. I have seen Fantasy based camp wide games at other camps that had "Great Wizards" in white pointy hats....... ooops. Note I said other camps not Camp K and when I pointed it out to the program director in the white pointy hat I got big wide eyes and a big GULP. Like I said oops.

    James Deroba

    ReplyDelete